Thursday, September 18, 2014

Inspiration and Evololution

by Staci L. Smith

It is no secret, that most of us who make beads and / or jewelry......LOVE beads and jewelry.

I am no exception.  So when Karen McGovern made these rings, I had to have one.



She made me one special, just for me....

(I added the wire to make it just a hair smaller so I could wear it on my pink.....i love it!)


She also sent me some of that wonderful aquamarine, and some citrine crystals too.  I was thrilled to have some, and I loved this design so much, I wanted to make myself a necklace to match.

Of course, I added some more rustic elements- mastadon bone beads.....and i  am not one for measuring, so, its a bit rougher.  However, I am so happy with how it turned out.  


I didn't measure at all, just cut some silver that looked like enough to fold up, made a few cuts so I could fold it, and added my beads, and worked it like a huge bezel.  I added some balled headpins on the ends to add the chain.  I love little cabinet curiosities, and boxes always always always had my heart, so this got the ball rolling in my mind.

I made another in copper, and then I made some shallow, large copper boxes, and added some large and small gemstones to make a sort of shadow box pendant.  I also made another silver one that is really rustic looking, not sure I love it, but it has sea glass and a fossil shell.


 I just love when another artist inspires me so much.  The process of watching a simple concept, like "box"  or "capture" evolve and change into many forms.  That is why I love surrounding myself with art.  I see color schemes that inspire me, or a texture, or a shape......and I have to try it in jewelry.  

7 comments:

Karen McGovern said...

Beautiful, Staci! I don't measure either, and the box design had so many possibilities! I am working on some pendants for this series as well, will share when finished. Isn't it great to be part of a mutual admiration society?? :)

stacilouise said...

Yes it is. and I always love the artists you feature on your page. thank you so much for my ring and the extra gems! I love my ring and necklace :)

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

Love the energy from creating with others :)

And I'm always inspired by the way some artists can just run with ideas that come together - like grabbing some metal sheet, forming it and making such a cool piece. Just WONDERFUL!!!

:)

Erika said...

Oooohh! I love the silver one with the sea glass and fossil shell!

Carol Dekle said...

I loved seeing what you created and your interpretation on the box design. Also that silver necklace looks great on you! Very inspiring Staci!

Ann Schroeder said...

Karen's ring(s) - fabulous. And then the necklace you made is gorgeous. I love how it inspired you to take the concept further.

LynnB said...

Love these! But how do you solder the ball at the other end without heating up the elements in the piece?

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...